Primary function of the Automation controls engineer will be to serve is the primary subject matter expert for automation and building controls for one or more fulfillment centers. Purpose of the role is to create a primary POC or gatekeeper for automation control, building control, materials handling equipment (MHE) system improvements, including MHE automation software upgrades, as well as work to identify, plan and manage network wide automation improvements and upgrades. The position will report to the leader of Automation Controls Engineering.
- Provides technical support to fulfillment center operations and engineering. Provides for continuous improvement of MHE operations through the design, selection and installation of new equipment and systems and the modification of existing equipment and systems. Provides support to maintenance operations. Creates and/or maintains current documentation of equipment and systems.
- Primary POC for MHE software updates and changes. Manages and coordinates MHE software deployments in collaboration with Change Manager(s).
- Responsible for management and maintenance of MHE and Controls Servers and networking equipment. May collaborate with corporate network engineering for support.
- Provides for the continuous improvement of processes, procedures, and equipment. Assures maximum reliability of equipment, processes and procedures, specs and builds physical equipment associated with data collection efforts. Specs and builds physical equipment associated with data collection efforts.
- Provides support to engineering and operations on design of MHE automated systems including evaluation and testing criteria.
- Design, develop and deploy machine and gauge control systems; integrated automation including PLC and VFD controls; HMI systems; and data collection systems, SQL / MySql, Oracle, etc.
- Research and develop cost savings initiatives through use of automation and machine controls.
- May provide complete project management for new machine and system modifications, installations and upgrades.
- Proven knowledge of security and access control systems such as Lenel, Sonitrol, Honeywell or similar systems
- Provide training, as required, for plant personnel in operation of the HMI and SCADA equipment.
- Knowledge of building systems operation, maintenance and controls including material handling equipment, HVAC, BAS and other automated system controls.
- Should have practical experience in network infrastructure and IP-based networks, both in implementation and support. Experience with Ethernet, Profibus, BacNet, Devicenet, Modbus and serial communications.
- Experience in programming and configuration of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems such as Iconics, Wonderware, Intellution iFix; REBOL, HTML is preferred.
- Proven ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and activities.
- Demonstrated successful communication and negotiation skills in order to manage conflicting and/or multiple demands, including ability to present to various level within an organization.
- Active participate on the FC change management team(s).
Looking for a candidate....
- Works will independently and with teams
- Able to effectively express complex concepts to individuals with less expertise
- Eager to learn
- Pays attention to details
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Able to create business cases to support new projects
- Project management skills
- Able to trouble shoot remotely if necessary
- Must stay informed of all potential hardware and software changes within a facility
- BS in electrical engineering or equivalent professional qualifications
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience commissioning and troubleshooting machine/ process controls
- Design, deployment, and testing experience with Allen Bradley controls
- PLC troubleshooting and programming of Allen Bradley RS Logix 500/5000, Seimens, Modicon and similar systems.
- Experience with all types of SCADA systems.
- SQL 2008/2012 database mining and queries.
- Fluent in editing and developing PLC programs.
- 10-20% travel may be required.
Why do millions of people all around the globe shop QVC every day? Because we offer a highly engaging, highly differentiated shopping experience. We strive to surprise and delight our customers every day, with curated collections of products that are relevant to their lives. We connect with customers via authentic stories, interesting personalities and award-winning customer service. We invite customers to tell their stories and share their feedback. And we do it all live, across multiple networks and platforms. It’s how we deliver the joy of discovery through the power of relationships.
Location/Region: Piney Flats, TN (US)