OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln’s promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America’s Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
Johnson City 14th in their latest rankings of best places to live! Local festivals include Unity in the Community Festival http://www.umojajc.org/ Blue Plum Festival, Apple Festival, and the Rhythm and Roots Reunion in nearby Bristol Tennessee/Virginia. Enjoy year-round outdoor activities at our area lakes and parks and just a stone’s throw away you’ll find renowned attractions such as Barter Theatre, Bristol Motor Speedway and Asheville North Carolina’s Biltmore House.
For the Sports Enthusiast, you can cheer on future baseball hall of famers with the area’s rookie league baseball team - the Johnson City Cardinals! Johnson City offers an affordable cost of living, no state income tax, and excellent schools and universities! Start your Adventure in Johnson City Tennessee! A Hometown Heart with a Big City Soul! Learn more about this agency on: https://www.va.gov/jobs/
Visit us on: https://www.facebook.com/JohnsonCityCVB
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The Department of Veterans Affairs provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify this facility’s Human Resources Management Office at 423-926-1171 extension 7181. The decision on the type of reasonable accommodation to be granted will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about this agency Responsibilities
Incumbent is assigned to provide care for the adult/geriatric patient population, chronically /terminally ill long term patients. The incumbent will provide comprehensive nursing care for patients during the day, evening, and night tours of duty.
- Charting vital signs
- Recording intake and output
- Performs personal hygiene to patients (including showers or bed baths)
- Assist with normal bladder and bowel elimination
- Changes/makes hospital beds
- Perform range of motion activities
- Ambulates patients
- Answer telephone in absence of other personnel
- Answer patient call system and notifies appropriate nursing staff
- Accurately documents measurements in clinical record
- Participates in patient care conferences
- Utilizes printed and electronically files containing sensitive information
- Provides input into unit goals and staff development
- Obtains urine specimens
- Transport patients via wheelchair/stretcher
Days, 12 hours rotating. Financial Disclosure Report:
Not Required. Promotion Potential:
The incumbent may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level. First area of consideration will be given to current James H. Quillen VA Healthcare System permanent employees.
Supervisory status No Conditions of Employment You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job Designated and/or random drug testing may be required Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959 You may be required to serve a probationary period Subject to a background/security investigation Must be proficient in written and spoken English
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting and carrying (45 lbs and over); Straight pulling, pushing, reaching above shoulders, use of fingers, both hands required, walking, standing, repeated bending, both legs required (up to 8 hours); kneeling (2 to 3 hours), and hearing (aid permitted).
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
Qualifications Basic Requirements
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- English Language Proficiency: Nursing Assistants must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, part II, chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j.
N/A Grade Determinations
GS-5 Nursing Assistant (Full Performance Level)
Experience. One year of progressively responsible assignments and experience equivalent to the GS-4 level which demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities that are directly related to the specific assignment. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the professional KSAs in subparagraph (c) below;
Education. Successful completion of a 4-year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor’s degree that included 24 semester hours of courses related to health care or possession of a bachelor’s degree.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-5. Specialized Experience:
Qualifying specialized experience includes non professional nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other medical, nursing, or patient care facility, or in such work as that of a home health aid performing duties, such as:
- Providing personal nursing care such as providing pre- and post-operative care.
- Support duties for diagnostic and technical treatment procedures, such as setting up and operating special medical equipment and apparatus.
- Caring for mentally ill patients, including observing, recording, and reporting changes in their behavior, and providing reassurance and encouragement.
- Assisting surgeons and registered nurses in operating room activities, including passing instruments, maintaining sterile conditions, and draping and positioning patients.
KSA 1. Ability to assist in the full range of nursing care to patients/residents with physical and/or behavioral problems in a hospital, long term care or outpatient setting under the direction of a registered Nurse and/ or Licensed Practical Nurse.
KAS 2. Ability to communicate orally with patients/residents, families, interdisciplinary team and other personnel.
KSA 3. Ability to recognize and react to emergent patient/resident care situations and intervene while waiting for assistance. References:
VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G46 Nursing Assistant Qualification Standard.For more information on these qualification standards, please visit OPM’s web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications Education
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
- This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
- It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
- This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
- United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
- Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
Location/Region: Mountain Home, TN (US)