PURPOSE: To install, repair, and maintain overhead and underground residential distribution power lines and auxiliary infrastructure and equipment. This position is the highest of a multi-step progression from OH Apprentice Lineman to OH Journeyman Lineman and is expected to possess a mastery of all aspects of the OH Journeyman Lineman essential duties for the Company. Lower steps in this classification are expected to progress into all aspects of these duties.
1. Strings, pulls, splices, transfers and sags conductors in energized or de-energized circuits and makes transformer connections as specified or directed using a variety of types of splices, terminations, connectors, sleeves or clamps. Regularly works above ground on poles using climbers and safety belt or operating man lift equipment, bucket truck, or other specialized equipment. Uses a variety of underground locating and fault finding equipment.
2. Routes or re-routes power lines over, under or around existing lines and structures, regularly working above, on, or in close proximity to energized lines. Selects and uses a variety of "hot line" tools and makes use of personal protective equipment as required in the performance of “live line” work and safe work practices. Works on all voltages as required throughout the system.
3. Installs, removes, transfers, maintains and/or repairs all overhead pole and Underground Residential Distribution (U.R.D.) equipment using a variety of hand tools, equipment and power tools.
4. May install street and area lights, working with primary and secondary voltages. May change transformer locations on maps.
5. Performs line switching or sectionalizing as directed. Performs emergency repairs, phases and connects circuits under load; performs load checks and balances feeders as required.
6. Inspects lines, poles, and equipment for signs of damage or wear and reports deficiencies.
7. Duties include carrying poles, digging holes, piking and guying poles and other such operations involved in the setting or replacing of poles; may erect steel towers or substation structures.
8. Assists in on-the-job training of apprentices and other crew members in maintenance and construction of power lines.
9. Expected to troubleshoot electrical problems on Company and customer owned facilities and equipment.
- Requires a certificate or verification of completion of an industry recognized or accredited Journeyman Lineman Course or Training Program.
- Infratech retains the right to assess and verify journeyman level experience installing and maintaining overhead and underground distribution electrical systems.
- Requires valid commercial driver's license (CDL), first aid certification, competency in CPR and pole top rescue. (Within first 6 months of employment).
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to perform the Essential Duties.
- Ability to understand and follow both written and verbal instructions in English.
- Ability to work overtime.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Demonstrated knowledge of; Job site Safety Systems, Safe Excavation and Digging Techniques, Electrical Safety.
- Other combinations of education/experience may be considered.
- The ability to lift 75 lbs.
- The ability to transfer 130 lbs. a distance of 12 feet with the help of another person.
- The ability to work outdoors in a diverse environments.
- The ability to ascend and descend ladders, poles, and other elevating structures.
- Must be able to work at heights from a ladder, pole, or aerial device.