Instructor of Nursing (12 Month)
General Employee Responsibilities
- Comply with local, state, and federal guidelines and laws.
- Comply with Northeast State Community College and Tennessee Board of Regents policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Comply with SACSCOC (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges) standards and guidelines.
- Promote and maintain College and TBR Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Promote and comply with Northeast State Community College SAFE Campus programs.
- Maintain digital calendar and archive annually on May 1. Provide supervisor with access to calendar and an archived copy of calendar for annual performance review.
- Seek efficiencies and continuous improvement in both position and personal growth.
- Lead/promote College and TBR initiatives as they relate to this office.
- In all duties assigned, show a commitment to quality, customer service, and Northeast State Community College: to include students, College employees, and the community served by Northeast State. Be an active and contributing part of the Northeast State Team.
- Follow professional code of conduct and ethics; maintain professional dress in compliance with expectations of the position.
- Complete other assignments as directed by supervisor/Vice President for Academic Affairs/President.
- Utilize effective people skills in working with internal and external customers.
Specific Role and Responsibilities
Responsibility for the implementation of the instructional program rests with the teaching faculty. Excellence in teaching stands foremost among the challenges and responsibilities of the College. Within this framework the faculty have certain routine objectives, some of which are listed as follows:
Routine Instructional Objectives
- Teach an average of 15 credit hours per semester during the day or evening; on/off campus; teaching modality;
- Devote a minimum of 37.5 hours per week to the institution, maintain appropriate office hours as determined by the College officials, and bring to the attention of the appropriate academic dean any commitments which might affect effectiveness;
- Generate a minimum of 300 student credit hours per semester;
- Assist the Director of Nursing in the development of a semester departmental schedule of classes;
- Recommend adoption of course textbooks in collaboration with other professional staff members in the department;
- Assist with the implementation of departmental exams and standardized tests when such use is deemed feasible and beneficial;
- Participate in faculty development activities to improve professional effectiveness;
- Participate in the evaluation of instruction via peer, student, and self evaluations;
- Provide copies to Director of Nursing of syllabi and final examinations of courses taught;
- Supervise laboratory and other instructional activities in a conscientious and professional manner;
- Meet all classes promptly as scheduled with any deviation being filed promptly and accurately through the appropriate channels;
- Assume responsibility for giving examinations and all other types of evaluations necessary to determine student level of performance and understanding;
- Cooperate with Library personnel in the selection, development, and distribution of resource material used by the faculty member's department;
- Respond in a timely fashion to deadlines; and
- Cooperate with other areas of the College in order to provide an effective educational program.
Routine Curriculum Objectives
- Develop and recommend to the Director of Nursing new courses and programs of study when the need arises;
- Recommend modification or discontinuance of courses or programs of study if appropriate; and
- Assist the Advising Resource Center by advising students regarding general or special problems related to the department/division.
Routine Administrative Support
- Assist in the preparation of budget requests each fiscal year;
- Originate and recommend requisitions for purchase of supplies and equipment and other uses of appropriate budgetary funds for the instructional program;
- Originate requests for professional travel in support of personal faculty development;
- Assume responsibility for all equipment assigned to the faculty member or others under his/her supervision;
- Recommend to the Director of Nursing needs for custodial care and maintenance of physical facilities in support of instructional work or study;
- Assist in the preparation of proposals for special, federal, state, and private projects and grants;
- Attend all department and divisional faculty meetings and participate in the discussion of academic issues during these meetings;
- Complete assignments requested;
- Attend all officially called assemblies or faculty meetings;
- Provide student academic advisement;
- Assist in marketing/recruiting activities;
- Participate and expedite the process of faculty evaluation following established procedures;
- Serve on committees as appointed; and
- Perform all other duties as may be assigned.
- Other objectives of a problem solving, innovative, professional growth, or community service nature are generally identified and agreed upon by a faculty member and Director of Nursing and/or academic dean in support of institution, program or divisional goals.
May have certain routine objectives, some of which are listed as follows:
- Comply with OSHA and TOSHA requirements and regulations.
- Complete assignments related to lecture, lab, and clinical using safe, effective practice.
- Participates in planning, revision and program development within the nursing curriculum.
- Performs academic planning and periodic analysis of existing divisional courses/programs.
- Works with academic administrators in planning faculty and staff development programs.
- Assists the Director of Nursing with evaluation of instructional facilities and instructional methods.
- Assists with managing budget and operations of the division by participating in the budgetary and strategic planning for the department.
- Complies with polices of Tennessee Board of Nursing and ACEN.
- Promotes the use of technology in the classroom.
- Works with Director of Nursing to maintain accreditation for the department.
- Works with Director of Nursing to maintain approval from the Tennessee Board of Nursing.
- Recruits students for the department/division.
- Provides academic advisement for AAS in nursing majors or other individuals interested in the program/division.
- Actively participates in college and professional activities and organizations.
Requirements of the Position
Minimum Qualifications and Educational Requirements
- Education – MSN, from an accredited institution, degree required
- Licensure - Must possess a current and valid Tennessee or compact state license as a registered nurse.
- Clinical Health Care Requirements - Maintains all clinical agency health care requirements
- Experience – Recent professional practice in a health care facility or educational institution; Displays current clinical competency and up-to-date nursing skill sets.
- Technology Skills - MS Office skills, Word, Excel, Access; digital records management systems; general operating systems and data information systems
- Demonstrates accountability to stakeholders
- Displays professional demeanor, communication, and attire
- Functions effectively in a team-oriented environment
- Possesses the willingness to remain flexible.
- Exhibits dependability.
- Exhibits excellent written, oral communication, and organizational skills.
- Effective, positive personnel, supervisory, and management skills
- Communicates effectively with individuals from a wide range of diverse socioeconomic backgrounds, both orally and in writing
- Manages time and workload effectively to meet strategic planning, budgeting, and any other assigned deadlines
- Exhibits the ability to work with adult learners.
- Displays the ability to work effectively with students, colleagues, staff and administration to advance the mission of the institution.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with college faculty, staff, students, the general public, program advisory committees, and other health care professionals.
Compensation: $50,374-$62,968 annual salary dependent on education and experience
Location/Region: Kingsport, TN (US)