Headquartered in Lynchburg, VA., BWX Technologies, Inc. (BWXT) is a leading supplier of nuclear components and fuel to the U.S. government; provides technical, management and site services to support governments in the operation of complex facilities and environmental remediation activities; and supplies precision manufactured components and services for the commercial nuclear power industry. BWXT has more than 5,200 employees and significant operations in Lynchburg, VA.; Erwin, TN.; Mount Vernon, IN.; Euclid, OH; Barberton, OH; and Cambridge, Ontario, as well as more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy sites around the country. Follow us on Twitter @BWXTech and learn more at www.bwxt.com.
Waste Management Engineer / Specialist - Nuclear Fuel Services - Erwin, TN
This position is responsible for ensuring that all aspects of the NFS Transportation/Waste Management (T/WM) programs are compliant with federal and state waste regulations. Specific attributes include waste characterization, packaging, storage and disposition including compliance with RCRA, TSCA, NRC and DOT.
Specific Job Duties:
- Interface with on-site waste generators to develop solutions to technical problems associated with T/WM.
- Provide direction to waste generators for adherence to on-site and off-site waste acceptance criteria.
- Review and approve work requests, procedures, and drawings detailing proposed process changes and determine waste characterization, packaging, storage and disposal strategies. Waste streams included are RCRA, low level radioactive waste, mixed waste, PCB waste, and sanitary waste.
- Develop/revise waste characterization document.
- Prepare sampling and analysis plans in accordance with EPA guidance documents and SW-846.
- Interpret laboratory analytical data and characterize material for disposal in accrodance with applicable regulations and disposal/treatment facilities waste acceptance criteria.
Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Engineering, Waste Management, Environmental Science or related science, engineering, or technical field.
Three (3) to Five (5) years experience since degree. Must have a working knowledge of RCRA, DOT and radioactive waste management pertaining to the packaging and management of hazardous, radioactive and mixed waste.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Position requires U.S. Citizenship (with no dual citizenship) and ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance which involves an extensive criminal and financial background investigation and previous employment reference verifications.
BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, career development, benefits, company-sponsored training and social recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or veteran status. Nearest Major Market:
Asheville Nearest Secondary Market:
Knoxville Job Segment:
Manager, Engineer, Nuclear Engineering, Security Clearance, Environmental Engineering, Management, Engineering, Government
Location/Region: Erwin, TN