If you are interested in applying for the job of Hawkins County Library Director, please mail your resume by October 19, 2018, to:
Hawkins County Library Director Position
c/o Church Hill Public Library
PO Box 37
Church Hill, TN 37642
Hawkins County Library System
LIBRARY SYSTEM DIRECTOR DESCRIPTION:
NATURE OF WORK:
Serves as chief executive officer of the library, implements library policies and projects,
and provides leadership for improving public library service to the community. This is
very responsible supervisory work involving the management of the library system.
Education: MLS from an ALA accredited University or a CPLM or Associate’s Degree
with at least 3 years’ experience as a public library director or branch manager is
- Carries out the policies as adopted by the Board; recommends needed policies for Board action; recommends short-range and long-range goals and objectives for the library.
- Develops library budget and manage library system’s money. Keeps accurate and up to date financial records for all library locations; and works with auditors, library board, city and county funding bodies to report financial information.
- Attends all Board meetings; keeps Board meeting records on file at the library.
- Oversees selection and ordering of all books, materials, and equipment according to the Board’s Collection Development Policy.
- Acts as technical advisor to the Board and recommends employment of branch managers and supervises their work.
- Evaluates performance of branch managers on an annual basis. Writes formal evaluations, reviews with staff, clarifies performance expectations, and initiates appropriate corrective action as required, including coaching and development.
- Keeps informed about community changes, trends, needs, and interests; recommends programs and needs of the library in relation to the community; carries out plans for extending services of the library; and maintains awareness of public library standards and trends.
- Maintains accurate financial, personnel, patron, and statistical records and submits a variety of monthly and annual reports for the Board, and the Holston River Regional Library.
- Acts as public relations representative for the library, attending meetings, posting notices in newspapers, and arranging programs as necessary.
- Affiliates with state and national professional organizations, attends professional meetings and workshops, and provides professional development opportunities for the staff.
- Makes full use of regional and state library services to provide an appropriate stock of library materials to serve the needs of all patrons.
- Accepts and acknowledges memorials, gifts, and donations to the library through personal contact or mail.
- Follows legal, professional, and ethical practices when making decisions and carrying out responsibilities.
- Shall name the person in charge in the director’s absence.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of libraries and library profession
- Excellent organizational skills
- Cooperative personality, good problem-solving skills
- Flexible Schedule
- Ability to think creatively and to be flexible
- Eagerness to learn
- Genuine enthusiasm for public service
- Familiarity with federal and state library laws
- Basic knowledge of library automation systems
- Keyboard, word processing and database search skills
- Basic knowledge of budgeting and accounting
- Basic knowledge of sound personnel practices
- Accuracy with details
- Ability to delegate effectively
- Strong reference and basic cataloging skills
- Strong time management skills
- Public speaking skills
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have a valid TN driver’s license and be and the ability to be insured
at standard vehicle liability rates.
- Must be able to perform medium physical activity including bending,
reaching, standing, and sitting.
- Must be able to lift or carry objects weighing up to 10 lbs, some lifting up
to 40 lbs.
- The Library Director reports directly to the Board of Trustees; works with
Hawkins County Commission, City of Rogersville, City of Church Hill, and
City of Surgoinsville officials, as well as with community groups and other
- Coordinates activities with Friends of the Library.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work
that may be performed. The omission of specified statements of duties does not exclude
them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between HCLS and
the employee, and is subject to change as the needs of HCLS and the requirements of
the job change.
Location/Region: Church Hill, TN