Headquartered in Lynchburg, Va., BWX Technologies, Inc. (BWXT) is a leading supplier of nuclear components and fuel to the U.S. government; provides technical, management and site services to support governments in the operation of complex facilities and environmental remediation activities; and supplies precision manufactured components and services for the commercial nuclear power industry. BWXT has more than 6,100 employees and significant operations in Lynchburg, Va.; Erwin, Tenn.; Mount Vernon, Ind.; Euclid, Ohio; Barberton, Ohio; and Cambridge, Ontario, as well as more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy sites around the country. Follow us on Twitter @BWXTech and learn more
Engineer 5 - (Fuel Development & Variability Reduction) Nuclear Fuel Services (BWXT) - Erwin, TN
Summary Description of Job:
Works on projects or problems of a unique or controversial nature judged to have potential or known significant impact on major organizational issues or division programs. This position has full technical responsibility for interpreting, planning, executing, and coordinating assignments. Supervision is essentially administrative. Assignments are given in terms of broad general objectives and limits.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Serves as the technical specialist for the division in the application of advanced theories, concepts, principles and processes for an assigned area of responsibility.
2. In a leadership capacity, plans and directs the engineering effort on a project or projects of major significance.
3. As an individual contributor, conceptualizes, plans, and executes research or investigations in areas of considerable complexity, which may require unconventional or original approaches and sophisticated techniques.
4. May be assigned to develop product process acceptance criteria, monitor process yields and trends, lead process problem investigations, discover root cause from possible alternatives, formulate and evaluate alternative cost effective solutions, solution development, documentation, implementation, and follow up.
5. May be assigned to initiate and conduct process effectiveness review, develop and select cost reduction/profit improvement alternatives, develop, document and implement process changes and monitor the modified processes for profit improvement effectiveness and absence of unfavorable side effects.
6. Keeps abreast of new scientific methods and developments and customer requirements affecting the organization for the purpose of recommending changes in programs or new programs as required.
7. Maintains liaison with individuals and units within or outside the organization with responsibility for acting independently on technical matters pertaining to the field.
Educational Requirements of Job:
B. S. -- Engineering (from an ABET accredited institution)
Experience Requirements of Job (Beyond educational or equivalent requirements):
Ten years’ engineering experience since B. S. degree (nine years with M.S. degree)
Additional Position Requirements:
- Ability to effectively communicate complex technical information in writing and verbally.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a multifunctional team.
- Write and execute test plans for process development and improvement projects to be performed at bench scale and in production equipment.
- Write technical reports for projects and investigations.
- Write proposals that contain a technical justification and business case for future process development projects.
- Communicate with customers on project schedule and technical issues.
- Plan and lead engineering effort for projects of major significance.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE security clearance.
- Must be a U.S. citizen with no dual citizenship.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Position requires U.S. Citizenship (with no dual citizenship) and ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance which involves an extensive criminal and financial background investigation and previous employment reference verifications. BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, career development, benefits, company-sponsored training and social recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or veteran status. Nearest Major Market:
Asheville Nearest Secondary Market:
Location/Region: Erwin, TN