Headquartered in Lynchburg, Va., BWX Technologies, Inc. (BWXT) is a leading supplier of nuclear components and fuel to the U.S. government; provides technical, management and site services to support governments in the operation of complex facilities and environmental remediation activities; and supplies precision manufactured components and services for the commercial nuclear power industry. BWXT has more than 6,100 employees and significant operations in Lynchburg, Va.; Erwin, Tenn.; Mount Vernon, Ind.; Euclid, Ohio; Barberton, Ohio; and Cambridge, Ontario, as well as more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy sites around the country. Follow us on Twitter @BWXTech and learn more
Design Engineering Unit Manager -- Nuclear Fuel Services (BWXT) - Erwin, TN
Summary Description of Job:
Direct and support subordinate professional personnel in the performance of technical designs, cost estimates, and schedules associated with major capital projects and engineering programs at the NFS plant. Control primary expenditures for assigned projects. Provide expert leadership to subordinates in support of safe, cost effective, and on-time delivery of products that meet or exceed customer expectations. Develop Architectural Engineering (AE) design packages meeting nuclear industry requirements.
Major Duties and Responsibilities of Job:
- Provide strategic and tactical direction and strong leadership and ownership to NFS’ engineering function as it relates to capital project execution and related areas while driving continuous improvement, standardization, best practices, document organization and management, and internal and external benchmarking comparisons.
- Develop, implement, monitor, and ensure compliance with engineering procedures, practices, tools, and methodologies related to capital project development and execution and related areas.
- Assist personnel in problem solving, setting priorities, and resolving conflicts. Work with personnel to identify, develop, and implement actions to improve performance and reduce costs.
- Provide tactical and strategic staffing recommendations and justifications to engineering and business unit leadership in support of project execution.
- Develop, implement, monitor, and ensure compliance with policies and procedures for the group, drive change, and improve efficiencies and effectiveness of the design engineering discipline.
- Review, provide oversight, and manage external engineering resources and consultants and contractors as needed to meet project objectives.
- Experience required in developing AE design packages meeting nuclear industry requirements.
- Work with finance leaders and project managers to develop, review, and present in-depth expected costs, both fixed and variable, and ensure the estimates are realized through the projects.
- Execute other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Design Engineering Section Manager or Engineering Director.
Educational Requirements of Job:
B. S. -- Engineering or Business/Management
M. S. or M. B. A. preferred
PMP Certification and/or PE License preferred
Experience Requirements of Job (Beyond educational or equivalent)
Over ten years’ experience in support of DOE Category 1 or 2 nuclear facility support. At least five years’ experience developing Architectural Engineering (AE) design packages to meet nuclear industry requirements.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Position requires U.S. Citizenship (with no dual citizenship) and ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance which involves an extensive criminal and financial background investigation and previous employment reference verifications. BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, career development, benefits, company-sponsored training and social recreational
programs are administered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or veteran status. Nearest Major Market:
Asheville Nearest Secondary Market:
Location/Region: Erwin, TN