Headquartered in Lynchburg, VA., BWX Technologies, Inc. (BWXT) is a leading supplier of nuclear components and fuel to the U.S. government; provides technical, management and site services to support governments in the operation of complex facilities and environmental remediation activities; and supplies precision manufactured components and services for the commercial nuclear power industry. BWXT has more than 5,200 employees and significant operations in Lynchburg, VA.; Erwin, TN.; Mount Vernon, IN.; Euclid, OH; Barberton, OH; and Cambridge, Ontario, as well as more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy sites around the country. Follow us on Twitter @BWXTech and learn more at www.bwxt.com.
Nuclear Criticality Safety Scientist 5 - Nuclear Fuel Services (BWXT) - Erwin, TN
Summary Description of Job:
Performs activities of the Nuclear Criticality Safety (NCS) Program to ensure that plant operations are maintained subcritical and are conducted in compliance with governmental regulations and Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) license requirements.
Major Duties & Responsibilities of Job:
1. Regarded as a NCS/BWXT subject matter expert in Nuclear Criticality Safety.
2. Requires in-depth and/or breadth of expertise in Nuclear Criticality Safety or related methods and broad knowledge of NCS related technical areas.
3. Solves unique and complex problems with broad impact on the NCS Program and the resulting impact on overall operation of NFS; requires conceptual and innovative thinking to develop solutions to NCS related technical challenges.
4. Anticipates internal/external business or regulatory challenges and recommends improvements to the NCS program or other programs at NFS.
5. Leads projects with notable risk and complexity; develops the strategy for project execution.
6. Perform Nuclear Criticality Safety Evaluations (NCSE) for proposed facility and equipment modifications using appropriate methods, which include hazard identification techniques and neutron transport codes.
7. Performs implementation and documentation of NCSE limits and controls.
8. Conducts audits of plant operations to ensure compliance with the NCS controls, approved procedures, and applicable regulations.
9. Reviews plant changes to ensure compliance with NCS limits and applicable regulations.
10. Develops and presents NCS training as required.
11. Reviews SRE tests, and associated Engineering set point analyses.
12. Effectively represents NCS while interfacing with other plant departments and regulatory agencies.
13. May perform/assist with:
a. Technical reviews of work products of peer NCS members.
b. Development of NCS program methods and procedures as well as fissile operating procedures, and equipment design or modification.
c. CAAS detector placement analyses using radiation transport methods.
d. Validation of neutron or radiation transport codes.
e. Investigation of plant events.
f. NCS Emergency Response Functions.
g. Development and/or implementation of Non Destructive Assay methods.
B. A. or B. S. Degree -- Physics or Chemistry (emphasis in Nuclear Physics or Chemistry preferred).
Experience (Beyond educational or equivalent requirements):
At least 15 years of relevant experience in the Nuclear Fuel Cycle. An advanced degree may substitute for some years of experience.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Position requires U.S. Citizenship (with no dual citizenship) and ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance which involves an extensive criminal and financial background investigation and previous employment reference verifications.
BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, career development, benefits, company-sponsored training and social recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or veteran status. Nearest Major Market:
Asheville Nearest Secondary Market:
Location/Region: Erwin, TN